Friday, October 14, 2011

Staying Connected, Email, Text, Twitter, and Facebook

We all want to stay connected to the people and events that are important to us.  Whether it's an update on an upcoming event like a family reunion, party, or ballgame, or just saying hi to the people we are thinking of at that moment, social media can have a place in everyone's life.  We are moving to the age where email, while still viable in the workplace, is becoming obsolete.  Information is shared in a variety of ways so quickly it is important to take a moment to consider the what and why of our media options. 

There are so many different ways to stay connected these days, it is hard to know which is the best way.  Thankfully there really is a simple answer to this 21st century question.  What does it do and what does it do for you?

Communication tools have to serve a purpose and updating every tool every day is just too much.  I went from using my Facebook to connect with my workout buddies to using my twitter to connect with other professionals.  Both serve a purpose, but I use them for different reasons.  Email helps to stay connected with my family members who are slightly challenged by social media.  When I ask my teenage daughter whether she has checked her email recently I get a blank stare.  The stare says, "you can't be serious.  You think I am going to check my email when I can text people to get the same information?"  I know that stare well and am now using different language, like did you Facebook today, or can you text me with that information please? 

My own journey on using social media is still developing and I am fortunate to have some wonderful coaches!  It will continue to develop until I have gone global or better yet just proficient and in touch with the people and events that matter the most to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment